Saturday, January 3, 2015

Feminist; with a twist.

The feminist movement is nothing new. Since flappers were flaunting their too-short dresses and too-short hair, us women haven't fallen short of making our voices heard. 

And maybe our voices still don't rise above some men; but maybe that's okay. 

Don't get me wrong, I am all for women being treated equally, having the same opportunities and rights that men have. In fact, I would say on the basis of being a human alone we should all share in equal rights. Regardless of gender or race or color or wealth... 

But I also think, as women, we should still be happy to serve our men, without thinking it makes us "less than" to do so. To realize the strength and the positive qualities a man's character encompasses... Instead of always wanting to compete and be heard and be above or equal. 

Men have strengths; women have strengths. The fact is, we're not always equal, and that's okay. Maybe women have a more nurturing and compassionate spirit, and men have a more protective and providing spirit. Maybe a man is more compassionate than a particular female, and maybe a female is more protective than a man. 

I don't think we need to be screaming out to be treated equally, but just reflect an equal playing field in our day to day lives. Finding balance in our differences, and being "equal" because we both have strengths and we both have flaws. 

I respect the women that paved the way for me to go to work, to vote, to have the opportunity to own a house and have dreams that are so big they may never happen. But I also cherish the men who will see me as a tender and fragile woman, who knows at the end of the day, it is heavenly to just rest in protective, strong arms, and rest in his comfort. To trust a man to lead my family and to build him up and cherish him, not because I'm any less, or I'm his servant, but because in love, you serve. 

We may serve in different ways. The roles may be reversed or they may follow gender stereotypes, but at the end of the day, how can two things be so equal, who are so very, very different.

Women, please keep paving the way for opportunity and big dreams; but please stop begging to be equal when you're so much more than just EQUAL. 

We're beautiful creatures. Soft, tender, open and fragile... We have compassionate and nurturing, yet strong and driven hearts. So when I say we don't have to always be equal, it's because we should both be realizing our individual worth; in so many different, wonderful ways. 

You could say I'm "old-fashioned," but when a man holds me, protects me, earns for me, and works to keep our love alive.. I won't feel anything less. I think it's okay to be vulnerable and submissive; in a healthy way. I think it's okay to want to cherish and respect and serve your man. I certainly don't think this makes me unequal or have less opportunities. 

We have the opportunity to influence men in such a powerful way, by being women.. And not trying so hard to be anything but that. I honestly don't want to just "fill a man's shoes and be equal," I want to be more than that. To be more than who I was yesterday, and to uplift and cherish the men in my life to be more than they were the day before. It will never be "equal," because both men and women are seriously so much more than just equals. 

They are balance to one another. They are the missing piece of the puzzle. They are yin and yang. They are not equal; they're so much more than that. 

I guess I'm a feminist; with a twist.


No comments:

Post a Comment